Home --> Products --> Solar Water Heater Basics --> Why Solar Water Heater
Why Solar Water Heater
- Solar water heaters can act as a backup source of heat for your home. Since about 20% of a typical home's energy budget goes towards heating water, this is not an insignificant amount. In addition, if you use your solar water heater to act as a backup for general heating requirements in your home, then your savings may be even greater.
- On average, if you install a solar water heater, your water heating bills should drop 50%–80%. Also, because the sun is free, you're protected from future fuel shortages and price hikes.
- If you're building a new home or refinancing, or replacing water heater, the economics are even better. You’ll be profitable immediately, and you're saving more than you're paying on a monthly basis.
- More than 1.5 million homes and businesses in the US have invested in solar water heating systems, and over 94% of them say it is a good investment!
- Other benefits:
- State Rebates: varies in different states
- 30% Federal Tax Credit (means you pay only $66 out of every $100)
- Save 2 tons CO2/year (save the earth!)
- It produces energy at ¼ or less of solar electric cost
- Your house value increases at resale because of the green factor